Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Stroll Through the Parlor

It was in that curios cabinet
Of scores and old books
I learned your true name,

And for a moment I knew
Something secret.
Trapped under this cloche

Is an invisible ghost, shall I pull
Off the yellowing sheet?
Little jade elephants who do not roar,

An inflatable globe on a pedestal,
A flesh colored mantle licked by flames,
I pass you all on my way

To the sacred heart plant
Littered with dried flies,
The upright player piano

Whose pneumatic tubes have decayed.
The rug is so delicate I’ve left
My footprints in the blue

The sunlight is faintly bruising.
Ah, I hear the teacups jingling.
I must stay and converse

With this portrait on the wall.
I shall never leave this place
No sooner than my reflection leaves the mirror.

No comments: