Monday, March 12, 2007

Electric Town

I’ve never lived a day in my life. What am I?
I am the remote signal tickling the membrane
Of some nomadic receiver with a rotating antenna,
And it’s only Tuesday where I come from,
And all of the dolphins have been brought in
And emptied of rainwater. The key fob
Is served the choice cut of meat – but he rejects it!
Oh, the drama. Will the whoopee cushion
Next refuse the chair? This is unprecedented,
This is unfathomable. I cannot believe my screen.
All of this and we have no idea what else,
And the mystery of life eludes us, escapes like reading
Glasses left on the wrong face, which walked
Off down the dark street of parked cars
And expired meter readers, their perfume in the dusk.
Oh, the dishwasher’s on strike and the goat
Won’t lift a finger to help – what’ll happen?
We’re running around like chickens with our heads
In jars, the swimming starlight and the crying
Cedar siding. Get me out of here! I don’t even exist
Yet I have felt you up. It was electrifying.
You were shocked. What am I if not a little spark?

No comments: