Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Coffin in a Field

An open coffin in the middle of a field.
Nobody around, a chill in the air.
What a strange occurrence, I thought.
Who placed it there, and for what purpose?
Of all things, I decided to take a nap inside.
How the world was quiet, how sleepy I was.
The red velvet like a magician’s cape,
The lid of the coffin mirrored.
One could make love and watch,
One could get ready for the world.
I dreamed of a zebra smoking a cigarette.
I dreamed other pleasant things,
Like of ducks forming a perfect triangle
In a whirlpool draining a lake.
It didn’t feel like a tomb, although it was dark.
It was the middle of the night when I awoke.
The stars were out. The black sky
Like a photographer’s backdrop,
The moon like a spotlight.
If only someone could have taken a picture,
It could have said something.
The coffin in the field. Nobody around.
Me walking from it like a bandit
With no way to conceal my icy breath,
No way to tell where I’m headed.

No comments: