Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Romantic Monologue

Our week in the timeshare condo.
It’s difficult to think
With everything so out of place.
Someone else’s soul in with the stemware,
An old man’s overcoat trapped in the closet.
We’ve not much time
Before the next couple moves in.

Temple of Poseidon, we called it,
Your eyes were sad in every mirror.
Call the oracle at the front desk
To send someone up, the heat is stuck
Cold as wind in a silent movie.
My duchess mistress asks to be
Smuggled out in a body bag,
Telling me she gave her love to Jesus.

The night let the screams from their bottles.
I was dreaming it was silent
As a leaf falling in memory.
We stood at the twin graves of a couple
Who spent life in adjacent beds.
They kept on mumbling in their eternal sleep.
There was a train in the distance.

I was afraid, and then I lost my mind.
I continued to think as if nothing happened.
There were too many unlabeled cans in the cupboard.
I lost our tickets at poker night,
Which is why, my dear, we must pack.
We’ve not much time
Before the next couple moves in.

No comments: